dare 2 b natural

dare 2 b natural

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Naturally or plant derived- what does that mean?

Sometimes, if you pay close attention to the ingredient list on body products, you'll notice some long, complicated names that are listed as being plant derived, or naturally derived.

What does that mean?
Simply put, these ingredients come from a non-petroleum mineral, another natural source (such as water), a plant or a fruit-based source — not from an animal or petroleum source.

D2BN does not use any ingredients that have been tested on animals.
Never have, never will.

The only animal products used in our products:
  •  beeswax, which is used in my balms- foot balm; sinus balm; calm balm; sleep balm (and my now discontinued lip balms, whihc some customers may receive as free gifts from time to time). Every time I come across a balm formulation without beeswax, it produces a runny, sloppy goo that's just not nice.
  • milk products: goats milk, which is such an invaluable ingredient for sufferers of eczema and psoriasis; buttermilk & skim milk powder which I use in my bath milks
  • I have also recently added "milk & honey" soap to my product range, after investing in the ingredients in my failed attempt at making solid shampoo bars
The majority (but not all) of my ingredients are naturally derived. The ingredient names may sound long & scary- for instance, just what is Capryl Glucoside? Well, it's a sugar, made from palm kernal oil, and is a mildly foaming cleanser. Now, the few times a product does contain a synthetic ingredient, it's often to prevent using a sulphate or paraben.


I have also ensured that I have sourced soap colours that are vegan-friendly. I have several customers who are vegan, or who have family members who are vegan, who find it really difficult to source products that are animal free. I hadn't even given a thought to my colourants, and had to make many enquiries to suppliers before I could source colourants that are acceptable to vegan customers.

However, I have not found a solution to the lovely lady who contacted me for goats milk soap for her grand-daughter..... who's a vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment